Jaya hails from a coastal town in southern India and has spent most of her life in love with the hills and the sea. She holds an engineering degree in Computer Science and is now studying for a Masters in International Relations in Brighton. She enjoys reading and writing, and hopes to live in the Himalayas some day. Her favourite rainforest animal is the Royal Bengal Tiger, also India’s national animal, sadly endangered now.
* Click here to visit Jaya’s bloomtrigger profile!
* What inspires you?
Happy people; the spontaneous smiles you see on strangers’ faces on the street.
* What makes you angry?
Indifference towards small things than can help bring about positive change.
* What is your personal mission?
To work hard at contributing, in my own small way, towards improving the lives of those for whom each day is a struggle.
* If you were Prime Minister, what would be the first thing you would change?
The first thing I would want to work for would be the rights of children around the world- too many suffer unnecessarily as a result of the grown-up’s mistakes.
* Why did you agree to become a bloomtrigger ambassador?
For the cause it embraces – where would we be without Nature?
* Can you describe a typical workday?
I’m a student, so most of my time goes into reading and working on my dissertation, with a bit of travel thrown in at times.
* Can you think of a place or event you have been that has really inspired you?
I can’t think of one particular occasion, but I pick up random bits of inspiration from various places or events. What impresses me most is the passion with which people do things they really care for.
* How do you define success?
Being comfortable and happy with whatever you are doing, and not feeling that given a chance, you’d like to change things altogether.
* What’s the best advice anyone’s ever given you?
To live in the present without worrying about the future- I tend to do that a lot.
* What’s your favourite book or film of late?
Favourite film: Senna, the documentary based on the famous F1 driver’s life.
Favourite book: A Confederacy of Dunces, at the moment.
* If you could get anyone to become a part of the bloomtrigger project who would it be and why?
Roger Federer, because he is so widely respected and recognised, and known for doing his bit to help the underprivileged as well.
* How do you go green in your daily life?
Trying to save electricity and water, minimising the use of plastics, recycling, etc.
* What would you most like to happen to protect the planet?
Generating as much awareness as possible. It’s not difficult, we just need to make our minds up to look after the planet.
* Do you have a favourite quote you can share with us?
“Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.” – Salvador Dalí.
* If you found yourself stranded in a rainforest, what is the one thing you would like to have with you?
A nice, thick book.